My other blog is a blog

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Giant Sequoia




I met the woman who owns the tallest Giant Sequoia in Nevada. We were running dogs @ Plumas park, which isn’t a dog-park per-se, but it apparently is cool with the locals to run dogs off leash as long as it doesn’t cause a problem. You can see her Sequoia tree from the park, a huge scraggy green cone looking like it was painted by a near comatose Bob Ross. She said it’s a tourist attraction, people come to see it. I asked her if she put lights in it @ Christmas. Hell no, she said. It’s 103 feet tall!



Funny though how dog people pretty much only talk about their dogs. Ginger, the Sequoia tree woman, introduced me to her dogs and asked my dog’s name before mine. She didn’t even ask mine. Anyway it’s kind of like parents and their kids. They talk a lot about spit up and aching backs and the hardest most rewarding bla bla bla… There’s not much to say about my dog. She’s small, she’s fast, she catches a Frisbee. She’s pretty fun. But I can’t understand why anyone else cares.



I noticed this morning that you can see several other Giant Sequoia trees from the park. They aren’t nearly as high. I wonder if they’re related by seeds in the wind or whatnot. Or maybe the neighbors want to have the tallest to compete for the tourist trap market in some protracted multigenerational contest. Maybe they’ll poison Ginger’s tree and usurp her claim to fame at some point. Just like parents, and dog owners. Maybe I’ll understand when I have kids, or a really big tree; until then.



-M

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home